The classic Hungarian dish. This is a translation of my husband’s family recipe. Enjoy with a French Bordeaux or California Cabernet.
Recipe type: Main
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 large onion
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 8 chicken thighs (bone in/skin on)
- 8 chicken drumsticks (bone in/skin on)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup flour
- Lightly salt chicken and brown on all sides in a heavy bottom stockpot over medium heat. Transfer chicken to a plate and sprinkle lightly with some of the paprika.
- Chop onion and green pepper and add to pan chicken was cooked in and sauté until onion is translucent and chicken drippings are loosened and blended. Approximately 8 minutes.
- Pour remainder of paprika onto pepper and onion mixture and continue to sauté 1-2 minutes more to release the paprika flavor.
- Add chicken back to the pan and pour in the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil and cover and simmer until tender. Approximately 40 minutes.
- Spoon off about a cup of the sauce and transfer it to a sauté pan and add the flour and stir constantly on medium heat until brown. Add the final tsp. of paprika and half cup of cold water and continue to thicken to paste-like, but smooth, consistency. Add this mixture to the pot with the rest of the sauce and chicken and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to thicken.
- Serve with egg noodles, and/or dumplings and sour cream.