I was a little nervous about serving this to my kids but they loved it and asked to have leftovers the next day.
Chicken Tikka Masala
Recipe type: Main
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1½ cups canned tomato purée
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Naan, Basmati rice, and raita
- Use a fork to prick the chicken breasts all over on both sides.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 tablespoon canola oil, lime juice, and garlic. Add the chicken, and rub the marinade over the meat. Set the chicken aside while you make the sauce.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coriander, cumin, cardamom, nutmeg, paprika, cayenne, and grated ginger. In a heavy pot or sauté pan over moderately high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until light brown and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderate then stir in the spice and ginger mixture. Add the tomato purée, water, heavy cream, and salt, and bring the sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to gently simmer the sauce, uncovered, until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over moderately high heat until very hot and add ½ tablespoon of canola oil. Working in two batches, cook the chicken breasts, turning them a few times until just cooked through and browned well on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer the chicken as cooked to a cutting board. Wipe the griddle or skillet clean with a paper towel and cook the remaining chicken, adding the remaining ½ tablespoon canola oil between batches.
- When all the chicken is cooked, cut it into 1½-inch pieces. Add the chicken to the simmering sauce and continue to gently simmer it, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the black pepper and chopped cilantro, and season with salt.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving dish and garnish with additional cilantro sprigs. Serve with naan, Basmati rice and raita.