This is one of several salads I make to accompany Moroccan dishes.
Moroccan Cooked Carrot Salad
Recipe type: Salad
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Place the carrots in a steamer above 1 inch of boiling water, cover and steam 5 to 8 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat, and drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet and add the garlic and cumin. Cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds, until the garlic is fragrant, and stir in the carrots, pepper, and salt to taste. Stir together for a few minutes, until the carrots are seasoned. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, remaining olive oil, and the parsley. Taste and adjust salt and lemon juice as desired. Transfer to a platter and serve at room temperature.