This is my grandmother’s Ragu Bolognese recipe. Enjoy with an Italian Chianti or Montepulciano d’Abruzzo.
Recipe type: Entree
- I pound lean ground beef
- 6 ounces bacon or pancetta
- 3 medium carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 3 large celery stalks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 small cans tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 pound long pasta (tagliatelle, fettuccine, spaghetti) of your choice
- Mince the bacon or pancetta with the carrots, celery, and onions in a food processor.
- Cook this mixture in a heavy-based pan or Dutch oven in the oil and butter at moderate heat, stirring constantly.
- When soft, add the beef, turning it and crumbling it until it loses all redness. Add the wine, turn up the heat, and cook until evaporated.
- Add the milk and cook until evaporated.
- Stir the tomato paste, water, salt, pepper, and nutmeg into the sauce.
- When the sauce bubbles, turn the heat down and cook uncovered, for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream, cook another 10 minutes. Taste for more salt.
- Serve over pasta.