You can’t go wrong with this quick and easy weeknight meal.
Shrimp and Vegetable Stir-Fry
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: American Asian
- ½ cup teriyaki sauce (I prefer Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki if not homemade)
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sesame or vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 cups snow peas
- 2 cups bean sprouts (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1½ pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- A few springs of cilantro (optional)
- 4 cups cooked white or brown rice, for serving
- Mix together the orange juice and teriyaki sauce. Set the sauce aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic (and ginger, if using) and cook for 10 seconds. Add the broccoli, carrots, onion, peppers, and black pepper; cook and stir until the broccoli and carrots are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Add snow peas (and bean sprouts, if using); cook 1 minute more. Remove the vegetables from the skillet and set aside.
- Return the skillet to the heat and pour in the sauce mixture; cook for 1 minute. Add the shrimp to the sauce and stir until the shrimp are bright pink on the outside and no longer transparent in the center, about 3 minutes. Stir the vegetables back into the pan, top with cilantro (if using) and serve over rice.