This is the dish by which I judge the quality of a Thai restaurant. Pork, chicken, or simply vegetables can be used with the sauce. I have used the sauce as a marinade for grilled fish as well.
Thai Beef Salad (Yum Nuea)
Recipe type: Main
- 1 pound top sirloin
- ¼ cup sliced onions, separated
- 2 tomatoes, wedged or 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced, or 3-4 whole, Thai chile peppers
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- Barbeque the beef, and thinly slice it into bite sized pieces. Combine with the salad ingredients, and mix the sauce and toss the whole.
- Serve with Jasmine rice to sop up the sauce (optional).