Chives and buttermilk give these smooth and fluffy potatoes a great flavor.
Buttermilk-Chive Mashed Potatoes
Recipe type: Thanksgiving
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more, to taste
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Put the potatoes in a large pot. Add the 2 teaspoons salt and enough water to cover the potatoes by 3 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the buttermilk and half-and-half and heat until just warm. Set aside.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Add the butter, then gradually add the buttermilk mixture, stirring constantly with a large wooden spoon until the potatoes are smooth and creamy. Stir in the chives and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the potatoes to a warmed serving bowl and serve immediately.