This roast chicken is easy to prepare and it is more tender and less expensive than rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. I always hope for leftovers but my family devours it all.
Classic Roast Chicken
- 1 four-pound roasting chicken, at room temperature
- ½ lemon
- 1 small onion peeled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Herbes de Provence (thyme, rosemary, basil, tarragon)
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rub the inside of the chicken with the lemon and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the onion to the cavity and the herbs. Truss the chicken and place it in a roasting pan in the oven.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes per pound, or about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Baste the chicken as it roasts with the melted butter. Test for doneness by moving the leg of the chicken up and down. If it moves easily, the chicken is done.