The traditional St. Patrick’s Day dish.
Recipe type: Main
- 3½ pounds seasoned corned beef brisket
- 4 medium sized turnips, peeled and quartered
- 6 red new potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 large carrots, cut into thirds and the thickest pieces quartered lengthwise
- 1 small head cabbage, cut into fourths
- Put the brisket in a 5 or 6 quart Dutch oven and cover with an inch of water. Bring to a simmer and then cover, lower the heat until it is barely simmering. Keep at a low simmer for 3 ½ hours or until the meat is tender (a fork goes through easily).
- Remove the meat and set aside, keeping the meat warm. Add the vegetables to the pot. Raise the temperature and bring the broth to a high simmer. Cook at a high simmer until the vegetables are tender about 15-30 minutes longer.
- Slice the meat in thin slices across the grain.
- Serve in bowls, a few pieces of meat in each, add some of the vegetables and some broth. Serve with horseradish and mustard.