This is great summer soup from my cousin Elisa at Meat Market St. Germain in Paris.
Cream of Asparagus Soup (Crème d’asperges)
Recipe type: Main
- 2 pounds green asparagus
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 to 6 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 12 pieces of shellfish poached in white wine or 6 poached eggs
- handful of baby spinach, arugula, parsley or chives for garnish
- Cut tips from 12 asparagus 1½ inches from top and halve tips lengthwise if thick. Reserve for garnish.
- Cut stalks and all remaining asparagus into ½-inch pieces.
- Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add 5 cups broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes, then drain.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth, transferring to a bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids), and return to pan. Stir in cream, then add more broth to thin soup to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil and whisk in remaining tablespoon butter.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with asparagus tips.
- Garnish with greens and shellfish or eggs.