Crème Anglaise/Custard Cream
Recipe type: Cream
- 2 cups (1/2 l.) milk
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup (115 gr.) sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- Bring the milk to a boil with a vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise.
- Let the vanilla infuse for 10 minutes.
- With a wire whisk beat the yolks and the sugar until thick.
- (Remove the vanilla bean from the milk and discard.)
- Pour slowly the milk into the yolks, beating constantly.
- Put back this mixture into the saucepan over low heat and stir it with a wooden spatula, scraping the bottom of the pan in a figure 8 motion so that the cream does not stick.
- Do not let it boil or it will curdle.
- When the cream coats the back of the spatula, dip the pan in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking.
- Let cool in this cold bin-marie.
- If the sauce boils and curdles, it might be saved by putting it thought a blender.