A great addition to your Thanksgiving feast.
Glazed Carrots and Butternut Squash
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 pound baby carrots peeled, tops trimmed to 1 inch
- 1 pound butternut squash, 1 inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ⅛ cup Madeira or dry sherry
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the carrots and squash and stir to coat with the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Add the Madeira and broth, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Partially cover the pan and simmer until the carrots and squash are just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and add the sugar, stirring well to combine. Continue to simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated and the carrots and squash are glazed, 5 to 6 minutes more.
- Transfer the carrots and squash to a warmed serving bowl, sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.