Recipe type: Sauce
Serves: 1 Quart
For a quart or about a liter of sauce.
- 4 tbsp. butter, meat drippings, oil or lard
- 2-4 tbsp. flour
- 4 cups brown veal stock or bouillon or water
- 1 bouquet garni - 3 garlic cloves (optional)
- ¼ lb. bacon in 1 piece (110 gr.)
- veal, chicken or pork bones, cut in pieces
- a mirepoix made with: 1 large onion, 3 carrots, 2 leeks, 1 celery heart, 1 shallot (optional) and 1 turnip (optional)
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste or 1 lb. (450 gr.) fresh tomatoes, cut up
- 1 quart water
- In a heavy saucepan, sauté the vegetables in the fat very slowly until light brown.
- Add between 2 to 4 tbsp. flour according to the absorption of the vegetables; the mixture must stay soft.
- Cook the flour a few minutes.
- Add the stock or water, the wine, the bones, the piece of bacon, the garlic and tomato paste or tomatoes.
- Simmer for 2 hours, skimming all impurities and fat from the surface with a ladle.
- Strain the sauce, taste for seasonings, strain again through a chinois or very fine mesh strainer.
- Can be refrigerated several days.