Meringue Ordinaire/Ordinary Meringue
Recipe type: Meringue
- 6 egg whites (about ¾ cup)
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Have whites at room temperature and bowl free of grease.
- Beat whites until half stiff, preferably by hand with a wire whisk and in copper bowl.
- Add a little bit of the sugar and the vanilla.
- Beat until very stiff and glossy.
- Blend in the rest of the sugar with a rubber spatula.
- Cookie sheets should be well buttered and floured.
- The oven should be at the lowest temperature possible.
- Keep for months in an air tight tin can.