A traditional dish from the Lombardy region in Italy. This is my grandmother’s recipe. Enjoy with a Barolo, Amarone, or Barbaresco.
Recipe type: Main
- 4 veal shanks (2 pounds)
- salt, pepper
- flour for coating
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- bouquet garni (thyme, bay leaf, and parsley tied together)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- gremolata for serving: squeeze of lemon juice, finely chopped parsley, 1 chopped garlic clove, finely chopped peel of ½ lemon
- Coat the pieces of veal with flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy pan melt the butter and brown the veal.
- Remove the veal and in the same pan sauté the carrot and onion until light brown.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, cover with a lid and cook, preferably in the oven for 1½ hour.
- Arrange the veal on a serving platter and cover it with the sauce. Squeeze ½ lemon over it. Sprinkle with the gremolata. Serve with risotto Milanese on a separate dish.