Great served hot or cold when fresh basil, tomatoes, and zucchini are in season.
Recipe type: Side
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into wide strips
- 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into wide strips
- 1 orange pepper, seeded and cut into wide strips
- 1 lb. ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into wedges, 1 drained 28 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 pound zucchini, thickly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Heat the oil in a large heavy bottomed casserole and sauté the onion and garlic until onions are softened and translucent.
- Add the peppers and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, bay leaf and dried herbs.
- Continue to cook over low heat, stirring gently, until they are submerged in liquid.
- Bring to a simmer, cover partially, and cook for 1 hour over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini and basil and continue to cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or refrigerate overnight to serve cold.
- Can be served with pasta or eggs or as a side dish.