Recipe type: Sauce
Serves: 4 Cups
To serve with roasted poultry, particularly "canard a' l'orange".
- 2 oranges
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup wine vinegar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- additional oranges for serving
- ½ cup Curacao
- 1 tbsp. currant jelly
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 cups (5dl.) espagnole sauce (made with duck parts if sauce is used for canard a' l'orange)
- Cut into very fine strips the rind of the oranges and the lemon.
- Blanch them by putting them in cold water, bring the water to a boil and boil 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan melt the sugar and 2 tbsp. water until caramelized or amber color.
- When cool, add the vinegar and the juice of the 2 oranges and the lemon.
- Reduce it to half the quantity by boiling.
- Add the espagnole sauce and the reserved blanched rind.
- Simmer a few minutes, then add the currant jelly and the cornstarch diluted with a little cold water.
- Simmer some more.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Add about 4 additional sliced oranges, and serve around the duck.
- Pour thesauce over the whole dish.