Recipe type: Sauce
To serve with broiled meat.
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- ½ bay leaf, thyme
- salt, coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup (2.5 dl.) good red Bordeaux wine
- 1 cup espagnole sauce
- marrow of 2 large bones (50 gr.)
- 1 tbsp. cognac
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Remove the marrow from the bones by cracking the bones with a small hatchet or scooping it out with a knife dipped in hot water.
- Slice or dice the marrow and poach in salted boiling water 3-5 minutes.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Cook the shallots, bay leaf, thyme and pepper in the red wine and boil until reduced to ½ cup.
- Add 1 cup espagnole sauce.
- Bring to a boil and add the cognac.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Remove from fire and add the butter and the marrow.