Recipe type: Sauce
For eggs, veal and lamb.
- 2 cups béchamel sauce made with 4 tbsp. butter, 4 tbsp. flour and 2 cups milk
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- salt, pepper
- Blanch the chopped onions for 2 minutes in boiling salted water.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan, add the onions, salt, pepper, cook gently without browning for 20 minutes.
- They must stay white.
- Add the béchamel sauce and cook another 10 minutes.
- Strain through a chinois.
- Reheat the sauce, taste for seasonings.
- Off the heat add the cream and some more butter, if desired.