Simple Sirop Pour Fruits en Compote/Simple Syrup for Poached Fruit
Recipe type: Syrup
- 1 quart water
- 1 lb. or more sugar (to taste)
- rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise
- The liquid must cover the fruit at the beginning of cooking.
- Cooking time should be about 20 minutes or until fruit is done, depending on ripeness.
- Fruit should cool in the syrup.
- Apples, pears, apricots, peaches, quinces, plums, strawberries and oranges can be prepared in a simple syrup.
- Fruit are also poached in a syrup made of wine, white or red, liqueur and additional flavors like cinnamon, etc.